Flooring difference of 20mm - Suggestions for the transition?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hopefully, I can get some suggestions for a little issue.

I am planning on doing the hallway floor with engineered wood. we have some samples, and realised that the transition into the lounge (which is parquet flooring) could be up to 20mm.

Any suggestions or good ideas on what could bridge a big gap with out it becoming a 'step' or an annoying trip hazzard?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20200406_212549-01.jpeg
IMG_20200406_212617-01.jpeg
IMG_20200406_212640-01.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If you can't build the floor up, get a angle piece of wood (a wedge) made up from 20mm down to 0 or 3mm over the thickness of your door.

You can probably buy something ready made.

Build the lower floor up with 18mm ply or similar.
I'd rather not.. its a floor of beautiful parquet flooring from the 1950's.
maybe a wedge would be good idea. just knowing where to get it as it'd need to hang over the top of the higher flooring (not to the side) I guess, due to potential expansion of floor boards thru the year?

Sponsored Links
I'd rather not.. its a floor of beautiful parquet flooring from the 1950's.
maybe a wedge would be good idea. just knowing where to get it as it'd need to hang over the top of the higher flooring (not to the side) I guess, due to potential expansion of floor boards thru the year?
it needs a tapered threshold strip -when I owned a joinery shop I was always making them up for site chippies

this sort of thing:

oak_r_section_base.jpg

https://www.ambiencehardwoodfloorin...wzaEkPAoaTpFP-QkbzsATapAPusEf-ToaAljUEALw_wcB

more options on ebay

thanks for the replies people.. at least I have some keywords and links I can search google with now.

As its potentially quite a height difference (20mm), ill be looking for a longer ramp so it's not so intrusive. Let's hope I can find something perfect.

thanks for the replies people.. at least I have some keywords and links I can search google with now.

As its potentially quite a height difference (20mm), ill be looking for a longer ramp so it's not so intrusive. Let's hope I can find something perfect.
I realise this is an old post, did you get a solution in the end? West end up with a similar height difference in floor and would be interested to see how yours turned out if you have any photos? Thanks

Ahh yeah an old post, and we've moved home since :) Sadly no pics

But in the end I used a wide threshold, 50mm wide and it worked. It was relatively steepish, but not too much overall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back