Flooring discussion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So me and my partner are arguing over the type of flooring we want in our house. I want LVT he wants engineered wood.

I've tried to persuade him with articles and proof that LVT is better but he's just not having it.

Can you guys give me your opinions on both so we can settle this argument once and for all?

They say DIY can cause arguments and it's true by far.

Sponsored Links
Sunlight is prob the major drawback of LVT

It can cause thermal expansion leading buckling
Also fading may be an issue.
So if you have south facing patio glass doors or bifolds, prob best to avoid

Engineered is fine but the pres finished options are prone to scratching and the unfinished options obviously need treatment and that will need redoing periodically.
Limited range of finishes being natural wood.

Sunlight is prob the major drawback of LVT

It can cause thermal expansion leading buckling
Also fading may be an issue.
So if you have south facing patio glass doors or bifolds, prob best to avoid

Engineered is fine but the pres finished options are prone to scratching and the unfinished options obviously need treatment and that will need redoing periodically.
Limited range of finishes being natural wood.

Never thought about the sunlight. We get a lot in our living room with a double patio style door. I worry about wood because of the dog slippy and sliding everywhere.

Sunlight will do nothing to modern LVT now as most decent company’s have UVA blockers in. If the right adhesive is used you won’t have any shrinkage or buckling.

Been fitting it for 30 years and see a lot of mistakes by other company’s. For me , design flexibility , less maintenance, heels don’t leave marks. Got both in my house. I’d rate a decent LVT over engineered Myself. But a lot of my customers go with wood as it’s real.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back