Flooring for summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm in the process of converting a single stable into a summer house/Mancave. It sits upon a concrete hard standing which is quite badly cracked. I'm looking for advice on how to improve the look/finish of the floor. How should I go abt achieving this?

Will I be able to just underlay and place laminate flooring? Do I need to use self levelling compound first? (How can i stop from also cracking if so?) Or do i need to install some kind of frame (plastic or wood?)

Also can i lay/fit ply or osb boards straight onto the broken concrete? If so how do i fix?

Some tips would be greatly received

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the concrete floor is probably impregnated with urine (so are the lower parts of the walls) so lay a plastic DPM, lapped up the walls, and put your new floor on that. A floating floor on rigid insulation slabs wouls also reduce heat loss.

If it is badly cracked, dig it out and lay new. levelling or screed will crack on a cracked base.

I don't mind the smell but you will get a form of efflorescence and it may attract damp.

Thanks for the tip but not sure horse urine is a problem. It's been 12 months since it last had a horse in it.....but regardless I can put in the dpm so thanks.

With regards to what I put on top of the dpm......do I need to place batons/frame prior to adding insulation?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back