Flooring in garage room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I want to add some wooden flooring to my garage. It's only used for storage and I want to make the back half a bit tidier and use as a bit of a workshop for diy projects. The garage floor is a concrete base but where it was extended many years ago, there's a drop of about an inch towards the back about 3 feet from the wall.
It will be about 3mx3m in size. I was thinking ...

Damp proof membrane on the base.
Lay joists on the floor and where its not level just build up with blocks of wood.
Batten in between joists.
Lay top floor layer.

It doesnt need to look amazing, and don't want to spend £1000's (baby on the way so think diy projects will take a back seat for a while..)

Few questions.. How far apart should the joists be if I say I'd be using 18mm board ? Would using scaffold boards be good idea? and as they're thicker what sort of spacing would be advisable.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions and queries but think thats all for now..

thanks in advance... :cool:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back