flooring over garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a long garage and the rear 1.8m are dedicated to our laundry equipment and a freezer
my wife wants to have it tidied up to make it easier to clean
i envisage fixing something to the concrete slab to give a clean and flat substrate and then using vinyl tiles to match the kitchen flooring which is vinyl planks..
there normally isnt any water on the floor except when i occassionally check the washing machine pump and get a little flood.
any suggestions please...especially on the fixing to the garage slab..
cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
Hammer fixings through wood?, but identify and avoid piercing any damp proof membrane below the concrete slab.

Cheers,

Blup

Hammer fixings through wood?, but identify and avoid piercing any damp proof membrane below the concrete slab.

Cheers,

Blup

Thanks
I would drill the slab for rawlplugs and fix the ply with screws
The plugs will be the brown size, as to not go too deep into the slab surface
Cheers
GEOF

Last edited:
Hi again
I have the plywood in position now and have thought concrete self tapping screws might be a better and more effective than plugging.
When I come to drill the fixing centres, do I need to use a wood drill bit to go through the 5.5 plywood or will my masonry bit be ok?
Cheers and thanks again
GEOF

Sponsored Links
How old is the garage. Does it have a dpm under the concrete. If not plywood isn’t a good idea.
You be better using a latex screeding compound.

Have you looked at interlocking rubber / pvc Tiles. Great for garages.

How old is the garage. Does it have a dpm under the concrete. If not plywood isn’t a good idea.
You be better using a latex screeding compound.

SEE MY NEXT POST AS WELL

Thanks
I can see the dpc coming up the sides of the concrete, the house is about 26 years old
And brilliant idea those interlocking tiles, but not in my budget.
The plywood is only at the end of the garage in the utility area...later I plan to use garage paint on the rest of the floor where the car sits
I use that area as a workshop too when the car is out in the driveway
I have had ply down for a year temporarily and lifted it up to put the new plywood in, its dry and unstained on the underside
Hope that helps
Cheers
GEOF

Last edited:

I just have. Interlocking foam for gyms and playrooms at 26.99 for 48 sq m. Just the area I am doing..
Are those what you were referring to...seems better
Cheers
GEOF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back