flooring under front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I`m laying the floor in my hallway with engineered wood (14mm) flooring. The problem I have is the front door threshold as it has its own threshold strip that has rubber inserts to seal between the door and the streshold strip (sill). I think its better to use this rather than the standard thrshhold strips. So how should I do it?

I think I need to buy some timber (15-16mm) to create a expansion gap for the wood to expand into while at the same time hiding the edges (or the first 5mm). My dad reckons I should just screw the threshold strip down on to the first piece of the floor, although there will be no expansion gap its small dimensions may make this a solution with the flooring carrying on as normal after that. What do you think?

By the way the hallway is around 4 metres long, around 1 metre in width altogh closer to 1.5 metres when taking into account doorways. There is a doorway at each end the hallway and two on each side, one of these being the front door.

Thanks.

Vertical.

Sponsored Links
vertical fool said:
Hi all.

I`m laying the floor in my hallway with engineered wood (14mm) flooring. The problem I have is the front door threshold as it has its own threshold strip that has rubber inserts to seal between the door and the streshold strip (sill). I think its better to use this rather than the standard thrshhold strips. So how should I do it?
Simplest (and IMHO also better for protecting your new wooden flooring) would be to install an entrance mat right behind the door, say 1 meter long the whole width of the hall. You can finish the wooden floor with an End/threshold for neat finish.
A) problem of door sill etc construction solved
B) first protection for you floor when everyone has to wipe their feet properly ;)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I forgot to say I live in a second floor flat, so people will tend to wipe therir feet as they climb the stairs (no lift). So a mat for people to wipe their feet is less important. I think with the small dimensions that a mat would not look too good. Any other ideas?

PS How much are these mats?

Thanks

Vertical

Sponsored Links
I thought these mats are embeddeded in the floor with an expansion gap around the perimeter. So the mats that you refer to are just standard mats.

So, how would covering the floor with a mat solve my problem of the flooring meeting with the front door?

Thanks

Vertical

vertical fool said:
I thought these mats are embeddeded in the floor with an expansion gap around the perimeter. So the mats that you refer to are just standard mats.
Standard on a piece of hardboard on the concrete 1 meter long, width of the hall (as if 'sunken-in'). Wood floor end at mat and is finished with End/Border strip.
Existing sill construction is higher than mat = sill problem solved
(or do I think too simple?

Existing sill construction is higher than mat = sill problem solved
(or do I think too simple?

With no flooring down the frontdoor threshhold strip ( original, serves as a draught excluder with rubber seals, about 8cm width, maked by the manufacturers name and threshold sill) is flush with the floor.

Once I put the flooring down (14mm) on top of the 3mm foam underlayment the flooring will be around 16 mm above the threshold sill strip.

So I`m thinking the best option is to raise this threshold sill on a a piece of wood 15-16mm and approximately 55 mm wide. This will raise the threshold by 15-16 mm which will be sufficient to slide the flooring under the expansion gap created between the 55 mm x 15/16mm board and the 80mm wide threshold strip.

How does that sound?

Thanks

Vertical

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back