Continuous Flowing Wooden flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am taking up my old wooden flooring and laying a new engineered floor of the same 14mm thicknes.

The floor is in the Hallway, Lounge and Dining rooms.

Is it OK to have a continuous flow or do I need to stop at the doorways and put strips between the rooms under the doors as there currently is?

Sponsored Links
Timber expands on its width, not its lenght, so if the boards run along the openings, yes you can probably do it.

You need to think about how the floor is laid, and how it will shrink and expand, what might cause an issue is if you have a large room, where the timber might expand widthways with a door to the corner, it will mean allowing for extra movement gaps around that door perimiter.

Also when I say timber expands on its width and not its lenght, that may vary depending on the particular consturction of the engineered board, one for the manufacturer to confirm.

Yes it will be running length ways from the front door down the hall and off into the 2 rooms on the left and right.

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest that you can fit through the doorways, but if you have issues, be prepared to retro fit bars.

You won't find a manufacturer that recommends fitting through the doorways, but look at things subjectively and just be prepared to change things if needs be. Make sure the floor has as much room to expand as possible by ensuring the architraves are well under cut etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back