floplast pipe inserts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have just installed a bath using all their fittings (including plastics Ts and elbows, plastic inserts and barrier pipe 15mm)
When buying some spare inserts in town a man in the shop has worried me showing me speedfit range and saying for plastic into plastic insert must have the two rubber rings.
Yet according to floplast manual and floplast the simple inserts work for compression AND their pushfit.
Can anyone confirm this and give me some extra reassurance - I was about to strip them all apart and fit speedfit pipe inserts (wrongly) sold to me just now. But floplast instruction manual made me stop
I do have a few dribbles but is may not be from plastic fittings it may be from compression joint or tap connectors. manual is http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/p4798318.pdf
http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/p4798318.pdf[url]
does anyone else have experience of this dilemma
thanks
[/url]

Sponsored Links
You dont need to specifically use barrier pipe for water supplies.

I know of no reason to use any rubber seal inserts.

Nor do I see how they can give any advantage as the water seal is not between the insert and the pipe at that point. Can anyone say what advantage they are meant to give?

Tony

I agree - it doesnt matter if water slip through the insert or between insert and pipe. I assume the true seal is the rubber ring inside fitting around a nice circular pasrt of the pipe (ie insert makes sure it is circular). Any other reassurances out there would be great - thanks
ps I bought 25m barrier because I can use it on hot and possibly for radiator
but I wouldn't have needed barrier if just on cold

fair play to floplast/flofit
they replied to my email and assured me that the simple inserts are suitable for both kinds of fitting (compr and plastic)

Sponsored Links
Speedfit introduced their ‘Superseal’ inserts with the rubber ‘O’ rings a few years ago, after many years marketing just the all-plastic ones. The Superseal inserts are a ‘belt and braces’ approach, which no other push-fit manufacturer seems to have seen the need to adopt.

Still does not tell us what the two rubber seals are meant to achieve!

It's tube, the external diameter is the controlled dimension and the internal diameter can have wide variations.

The internal diameter of different maker's tubes is usually slightly different, so one manufacturers inserts won't necessarily work in another manufacturer's tubes. Further, no manufacturer will provide a warranty for joints made with another makers's inserts.

Speedfit inserts on Speedfit tube, Floplast inserts on Floplast tube.

Still does not tell us what the two rubber seals are meant to achieve!
As I said, a belt and braces approach. As I also said, no other manufacturer has seen fit to follow suit.

Not really, they are the same price as the standard insert. Unless the gullible see them as better than the opposition and opt for Speedfit.

I would recommend Speedfit and Superseal inserts because I sell them. Doesn't mean I'd use them. ;)

See the original post.
i did, but did not want to suggest outright that the OP was gullible.

Mr Man-in-shop wants his gonads kicking. Brings honest merchants into disrepute. Tar, brush etc.

See the original post.
i did, but did not want to suggest outright that the OP was gullible.

Mr Man-in-shop wants his gonads kicking. Brings honest merchants into disrepute. Tar, brush etc.

Not gullible, just being mis-sold stuff by someone who he assumed knew more about the subject than he did. I'm sure it has happened to us all at sometime (mostly with banks, combi boilers, power-flushing, wars in Iraq, etc., etc..).

thanks to all
it's been a useful debate
I'm so glad I didn't strip everything and replace with speedfit inserts
Firstly floplast are quite difficult to get apart (even removing clip and pulling back collar thing) . Also pipe would have got quite scored and would have had to be replaced. I fitted a lot of the stuff while the bath was upended in the lounge rather than in situ
Anyway I received a new pack of correct inserts via screwfix today and am making good progress
thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back