Pushfit mix and match - conflicting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So floplast are changing their hot and cold pushfit fittings it seems and so screwfix have stopped selling them and are running down old stock. A PITA since I have a project on the go which has used floplast. I have reels of pipe but needed some more fittings for next stage - no joy. Hence I looked into using speedfit fittings. This I can do, but the advice is contradictory. JG say use the insert to match the pipe, so floplast insert with floplast pex pipe. Floplast say use the insert to match the fitting, so JG insert with JG pipe. Argh! JG say outside diameter is controlled dimension (hence you can use 15mm copper). Floplast say all PE-X pipe is to BS 7291-3 so both inside and outside dimensions are controlled. I've checked 7291 and outside is 15mm +/-0.1mm, inside is only defined by wall diameter, 1.5-1.8mm, +/- 0.15mm, so internal diameter is +/- 0.4mm (2 x 0.15 +0.1). So there is something in JG's position. On the other hand the insert has a head size which will push the end of the pipe back. The fitting is design to cope with that so that will vary from make to make and is uncontrolled.

I guess that likely either approach will work but since it is a JG fitting I will be using I should follow JG advice.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

Sponsored Links
Anyone have a definitive answer?

Well the manufacturer's advice should be definitive but, IMHO, I use the correct insert for the pipe then mix and match the fittings (not very often).

Use the correct insert for the tube- that'll give you your 15mm dia which any 15mm fitting should seal and fix to.

Sponsored Links
Use the correct insert for the pipe. That will at least provide the correct support. You'll have no warranty where you're mixing pipe and fitting brands, but hardly anyone complies with the warranty conditions anyway so that's a moot point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back