Rubber washing machine tube-fixing a break

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy all.

An unwelcome visit from a 'furry friend' (aka rat) has mean I have to repair a break in my washing machine tube.

I attempted to use some speed fit connectors and a 15mm plastic insert.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-pem0415w-straight-coupling-15mm-pack-of-10/89893

and

http://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-sts15-plastic-pipe-insert-15mm-pack-of-50/18100

But the thickness of the piping means they are not watertight.

The inserts increase the diameter of the pipe to such an extent that the pipe does not fit in to the speedfit connectors.

Any advice for an alternative way I can connect this piping?

Cant find any smaller inserts (13mm?) and my attempts to grind down the 15mm ones aint working!

TIA

Sponsored Links
What's a washing machine tube? :unsure:

If it's the water supply hose, why not just buy a complete replacement?

If it's internal to the machine, you would be best to find a proper replacement part.

Photos.....

Break in pipe

Pipe gets too wide when 15mm insert is put in.

Overall aim - but without getting drenched when I turn on the machine...

The tube has some type of auto cut off attached to the end - looks sealed so not sure I can just replace the entire pipe?

Not opened up the back of the machine yet to see how easily it would attach inside.

Sponsored Links
Reason why I'm worried about tube replacement....

With outer cover removed....

Make of my machine....NEFF W5420X0GB INT WM

Where tube goes in to machine....

If you must repair, it might be achievable by finding a size of rigid tube that will fit the inner diameter of the pipe, and then securing with hose clamps.

I've never actually had an appliance with an aqua-stop built in - presumably it's designed to cut off the water supply in the event of a leak? Seems a bit silly to me, as if there is a leak, it's probably going to be on the connection between the appliance valve and the hose.

If you must repair, it might be achievable by finding a size of rigid tube that will fit the inner diameter of the pipe, and then securing with hose clamps.

I've never actually had an appliance with an aqua-stop built in - presumably it's designed to cut off the water supply in the event of a leak? Seems a bit silly to me, as if there is a leak, it's probably going to be on the connection between the appliance valve and the hose.

By hose clamp I assume that means jubilee clip?

I was wondering if some brass pipe forced in to the heated cable and jubilee clipped would do it!

This aqua stop has meant that the rat chewing the cable has just caused my machine to stop working as opposed to it leaking/flooding for the last week or 2 - done its job well and I thank it!

Can I bump for some help for this - spent an hour in B&Q looking for a solution!

15mm copper pipe is too big to wedge in to the existing pipe.

10mm I reckon will be too small and not hard enough to use jubilee clips with (10mm usually seems to be flexible/soft)

My only thought so far is to source some 12mm copper pipe to use with jubilee clips.

Found this....

http://www.bes.co.uk/

which seems to do 12mm copper pipe - seems a bit of a waste ordering 2m when I need about 10cm!

Any other ideas?

Do you know where one can get a proper rat trap like a large mouse trap?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back