Flourescent Lighting to a Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm wanting to wire some spare flourescent lighting squares to a plug, I'm no electrician, I'm barely a DIYer but I know how to wire a plug so I thought this would be right up my street. (The lights will be used in the mrs bespoke walk-in wardrobe).

I did a bit of reading and learned I could connect flourescent lighting to a 13A plug with a 3A fuse to get the job done.

However I've been looking at the squares I've got and they don't seem to have an earth cable I can wire into my plug, they have a live and a neutral, but the earth cable seems to be going off in another direction and is attached to the metal fixing for the square.

I've posted an image of the light fittings below, basically the earth is attached to the metal grill.

m635126884754611983.png

What should I do re my wiring? Detatch the earth from the grill and put it in my plug, or just wire it without and earth wire in the plug?

Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a picture of the wiring arrangements.

Most likely you need to add your own 3-core flex to go from the terminals in the fitting to your plug. Make sure the flex is adequately restrained.

Sponsored Links
I'm at work at the moment, I'll be able to post a picture of the wiring arrangements later tonight.

I've bought some 3 core flex cable today, which is when I got worried about my earth as I wasn't sure what to do with the earth inside my flex haha :)

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back