Flourescent tube.

A bit more info. Maybe one of you chaps could tell me what the maximum "brightness" of tube I can fit in this lamp unit if I change the ballast please ? Also, if I do that instead of going for a new lamp what ballast would I need ? Thanks for all your help on this.

IMG_7835.JPG

Light (4).jpg

Light (5).jpg

Sponsored Links
As previously said, your room is quite large and one single 4ft fitting isn't enough. You cannot make the existing fitting any brighter. Rewiring it for an LED tube would not yield a significant lux level increase, if any at all, in fact it'd more likely be lower. You need to replace the fitting for something new.

In an ideal world you need more fittings with diffusers/louvres to provide a glare free & even illumination. In the real world you may not want to start rewiring this room so replacing the existing fitting with something more suitable fitting may be the way to go. You could also add a angle poise light or similar to your desk if needed.

I'd recommend a twin T5 '5ft' (1.45m) fitting with cat 2 louvre, in either 'High Efficiency'(HE) 35w or 'High Output'(HO) 49w. Something similar to this, note these are usually around £80 for an electrical wholesaler: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323595589155

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As previously said, your room is quite large and one single 4ft fitting isn't enough. You cannot make the existing fitting any brighter. Rewiring it for an LED tube would not yield a significant lux level increase, if any at all, in fact it'd more likely be lower. You need to replace the fitting for something new.

In an ideal world you need more fittings with diffusers/louvres to provide a glare

free & even illumination. In the real world you may not want to start rewiring this room so replacing the existing fitting with something more suitable fitting may be the way to go. You could also add a angle poise light or similar to your desk if needed.

I'd recommend a twin T5 '5ft' (1.45m) fitting with cat 2 louvre, in either 'High Efficiency'(HE) 35w or 'High Output'(HO) 49w. Something similar to this, note these are usually around £80 for an electrical wholesaler: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323595589155

Thanks for that @fluorescence, I wondered if that is what I would have to do. I do have an angle poise lamp sitting on my server which suits me when I'm using one of the PCs but if I want to go delving around in filing cabinets it gets a bit dark. When investigating it earlier I left the cover off from under the tube and it's a lot brighter but I think I will go and get what you have suggested. Half the problem is my age ! I haven't got the eyesight that I had 50 years ago !! :eek:

Thanks again.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back