Flow regulating in a system with TRV's and Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have received a quote from British Gas to fit 7 TRV's to all the radiators in the house (except a spiral one in the bathroom upstairs). Mainly because my downstairs heats up too much and my upstairs is a lot cooler. i am happy with the idea of having individual control for each radiator zone.

I am worried about having the boiler on all the time and someone suggested having a regulator valve installed so that it turns off the Boiler when all the radiators have reached the desired temperature, sounds like a good way to save fuel and costs.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea or if there is another way. Also i will be left with one spiral radiator in the upstairs bathroom which will not have a TRV on it - so will it still switch off the boiler or mess up the system?

I have a Potterton Combi 80 boiler with a Honeywell CM67 programmable room thermostat downstairs.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Sponsored Links
Why have the boiler on all the time?, trv's will just give you individual room heating control and will shut down the flow to the individual radiator when the room reaches the set temperature. The actual heating times you have the boiler set to don't have to alter at all.

Thanks for that. I'm not the most knowledgable in these things. But if the downstairs is heating up too much then i need to put a TRV on the radiator in the same room as the Room thermostat so that it does not switch off the boiler to go to the rasdiators upstairs. I have heard you should not do that. That is why i was saying leave the boiler on all the time with a regulator to switch it off when all radiators are at their desired temperature. Very complicated all this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back