Hive and smart trv's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Forum !

Hoping to pick your brain about something i have in mind to maybe make my central heating a bit more efficient.
The current set up i have is a brand new vokera combi boiler with a hive thermostat and traditional TRV's on every radiator.

The house it is not big and we have an open plan kitchen living downstairs and 3 bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. The thermostat lives on the ground floor where is colder and the problem i have is that there's a huge difference in temperature between up and downstairs.

To get rid of the problem i was thinking to move the thermostat upstairs and fit smart TRV'S om the 3 rads i have on the open plan downstairs. That way when the thermostat upstairs has reached temperature will turn off all the radiators upstairs. In the meantime the radiators downstairs will continue going until the temperature set on the smart TRV's will be reached.

Would this setup make any sense at all and will actually help saving some money ?

Moreover, would the hive thermostat work with different makes smart TRV's ?
tried to find some info about this online but could manage to learn anything.

Hope someone can help me, thank you im advance.

Sponsored Links
I'm slightly confused.
Wouldn't turning the upstairs TRV's down have the desired effect?
In my case, it’s part lazinesss! We have the kitchen/diner rads on until after we've had our tea then they go off as we are not in that room anymore during the evening. At 10.00 I turn the rad on in the main bedroom. Before I go to sleep, I turn the main bedroom rad off, the kitchen diner ones and the back bedroom one on, Mon-Weds so that it’s warm when Mrs Mottie gets up at 6.00. In the winter, we want to be able to leave just one rad on in the Kitchen without having the whole system on so that the dog doesn’t get cold in the night! Fitting Hive TRV's would allow us to do that automatically. I just haven’t got round to buying 10 Hive TRV's yet at £50+ a pop!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back