Nest Thermostat and Smart TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The way my house is, the downstairs stays colder than the upstairs, so I have my Nest thermostat downstairs set to 21ºc.

Even with normal TRV's this means the upstairs gets a bit too warm for my liking.

Can I just buy any smart TRV for the radiators upstairs and set the temperature, and they'll turn off the radiator at the set temp, or do I have to buy one compatible with Nest?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to find out why the upstairs rooms are so hot.

1. Is heat from downstairs rising to the first floor, so the rooms upstairs get hot even when the TRVs are off?

2. Have you tried turning the TRVs down until the rooms are at the desired temperature?

3. Do the upstairs rads go cold when the TRV is turned right down?

You need to find out why the upstairs rooms are so hot.

1. Is heat from downstairs rising to the first floor, so the rooms upstairs get hot even when the TRVs are off?

2. Have you tried turning the TRVs down until the rooms are at the desired temperature?

3. Do the upstairs rads go cold when the TRV is turned right down?

Downstairs is so cold as I have an open plan conservatory, which has a couple of gaps in (I'm waiting for money to fix it).

I don't remember to turn off the TRVs upstairs when upstairs gets hot enough, as it will get hotter much quicker. The TRVs upstairs are already set low, but I want them to turn off when it gets hot.

Have you checked if the pins are sticking on the TRV bodies? (Remove head to check)?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked if the pins are sticking on the TRV bodies? (Remove head to check)?

I appreciate your help, but my heating system is working correctly I’ve checked them all, it’s just the way my house is.

What I’m asking is if I buy a smart TRVs will they just completely shut off once the temperate is reached, and can I just buy ones that are independent off my nest? I.e once the temperate is reached, they shut off.

Thanks.

I appreciate your help, but my heating system is working correctly I’ve checked them all, it’s just the way my house is.

What I’m asking is if I buy a smart TRVs will they just completely shut off once the temperate is reached, and can I just buy ones that are independent off my nest? I.e once the temperate is reached, they shut off.

Thanks.
Clearly your system isn't working properly, because your house is hotter upstairs than downstairs. Smart TRVs won't fix this - your system needs re-balancing so that everything heats up at the same rate. A heavy curtain to divide off the conservatory wouldn't go amiss either, if you can't afford doors

Clearly your system isn't working properly, because your house is hotter upstairs than downstairs. Smart TRVs won't fix this - your system needs re-balancing so that everything heats up at the same rate.

It’s because I have an open plan conservatory downstairs, it loses so much heat that upstairs, in the lowest TRV setting, is still too hot. I do not remember to turn off the upstairs ones when warm enough.

All of the radiators downstairs are on full, and all of upstairs are on the lowest settings available. There is a noticeable difference in radiator temperate where downstairs are much hotter, it’s simply that with the open plan conservatory the house bleeds heat.

It's your lockshields that need adjusting to limit the flow rate through your radiators, not your TRVs. If the existing TRVs are working properly though, they should shut off the radiators once the rooms are too hot, but balancing is key

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back