Downstairs slightly warmer than upstairs. TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a smart thermostat and due bigger rads and other factors my wife said the tempreture is good downstairs but a little
Cold upstairs.

Is the trick with this to turn down the trv downstairs so the boiler works a bit harder and the rooms get warmer upstairs?

Sponsored Links
If it's too cold upstairs, the answer is more heating in that area or more insulation to retain the heat.
Reducing the temperature downstairs will do nothing for the upstairs, unless the system is so poorly designed/installed that it is incapable of heating all of the radiators simultaneously.

my wife said
Did you actually measure the temperature?
People's perception of air temperature is usually grossly inaccurate and will vary based on several factors.

I'd vote for better insulation. After having done a loft conversion, which had about 50 tonnes of insulation, we hardly needed the rads on upstairs - the room was still warm at 4am in the middle of winter, 6 hours after all the heating had been turned off. So, more insulation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back