Flow regulator valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering putting FRV's on my outlets (k.sink, b.sink, toilet, shower, bath) to better balance my water flow since having a combi fitted. Can standard isolating valves be used for the purpose or do i need to purchase actual flow restricting valves (cost is going to be a deciding factor)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Recent threads on this. Normal isolating valves will generate noise when used as flow restrictors. Conventional stop taps are cheap and don't make noise when shut down, but are a bit bulky. Do a search on say restrictors for more info.

thanks for the tip, i was searching under "flow regulators" which wasn't turning up many useful results.

Can anyone recommend any makes or suppliers of suitable valves? I've seen the ones on BES but at £8 + vat a little pricey :(.

Sponsored Links
I think that you have got all there is.

Having seen failures of the flow regulators in boilers I am a little reluctant to fit the proper parts quite apart from the cost.

Often I have fitted isolating valves for this purpose and for most homes the noise is not a big problem.

It depends on the mains pressure though. In London its rarely over 2 Bar and there is not much noise generated.

Almost for free you can flatten a bit of copper pipe to do the job in conjunction with an isolating valve for the fine tuning.

Tony

Agile said:
I think that you have got all there is.

Having seen failures of the flow regulators in boilers I am a little reluctant to fit the proper parts quite apart from the cost.

Often I have fitted isolating valves for this purpose and for most homes the noise is not a big problem.

It depends on the mains pressure though. In London its rarely over 2 Bar and there is not much noise generated.

Almost for free you can flatten a bit of copper pipe to do the job in conjunction with an isolating valve for the fine tuning.

Tony
Thanks.

I found this which came in very handy:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/commondata/105385/cwb6_suppliers_876685.pdf

I've now spoken with Paul who is the MD of Aquaflow Regulators who has suggested rather than retro fit valves in the supply pipes (£5.15 ea) i could change the airator (sp?) in the taps to a flow regulator / airator (£2.50) if my taps are suitable. Certainly a better option than having to plan in the valves into my pipe work and cheaper to boot :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back