Flow & Return - Wrong way round from new Combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had a new Combi Boiler fitted by a profesional engineer.
It appears to me that the flow and return from the boiler is now reversed. ie: The hot water is going into the rads at the opposite end to the TCV's., they do have arrows <>
The engineer says it's OK.
Is this correct ? we seem to be using a lot more LPG.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes it's fine.

Most new TRV's are not flow conscious.

What makes you doubt the installer?

Ted

The man that did the job kept phoning someone asking how to check for a gas leak, he didn't instill confidence. We had an old (20 years) boiler, this new one was supposed to be more efficient. I don't think it is, taking into account how much gas we are using. I,m trying to find a reason for this.

Many thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Did you ever check that the installer was indeed gas registered?

Even if he was its possible that he was not trained or registered for LPG. You have to be seperately registered for each kind of gas and for each type of appliance such as boilers, cookers and fires etc!

Tony

On the Estimate it says CORGI Approved Engineer.
Are you sure that on a two pipe system, it dose not make any diference ?? if the flow and return are the wrong way?

The fact that you have two arrows <> on your TRVs means that, no it doesn't matter.

If he WAS registered, why did he not know how to check for leaks?

If his skill levels are not up to it, can you be sure that he commissioned and set the boiler up properly? Its definitely an LPG boiler isn't it? This could account for lack of efficiency.

Has he filled in the Benchmark paperwork at the back of the installation manula which he should have left with you - there should be a record of his reg number there for you to check online somewhere.

I don't know about whether he has to be on the Gassafe register for an LPG installation, but I would imagine that the installation has to be registered somewhere- otheres on here will no doubt clarify what paperwork you should expect to have received.

the two opposite arrows signify bi-directional flow.

Your enginner should be on the gas safe register which you can check online,he should have left you with name of company,name of installer,address postcode GSR number and licenec number to name but a few.

By using the website any of the above information should verify if he is indeed a registered proffesional and able to carry out the work he has.

If you suspect a leak,contact your gas supplier normally the person you rent the tank from(calor)they will have an emergency department(ESP) who will free of charge carry out a test for leaks.

Lee

Thank you all for your help.
I will check the paperwork he left.
My wife and I are both in our 70's, these things are a bit difficult for us.
Thanks again,
Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back