fluctuations in earth loop result

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys , im just wondering if anyone has had this problem before, were testing a commercial winery premises, main control gear in one room upstairs (old metal clad MEM stuff) but there has been a shop alteration downstairs, the main installation is around 50 year old, but the shop was done around 8year ago, its all new colours, and it has its own 3 phase board, this 3 phase board is fed from 80amp 3phase circuit breaker (8year old) from old main MEM cupboard upstairs, the submain is a 16mm 4core, armourings as the earth , all earth rings are fitted and linked via 16mm earths with crimps lugs , looks fine, outgoing earth loop is 0.10ohms , the submain is about 30meters long, but at the 3phase board we got a reading of 5.3ohms at first, then we tested again about 10 mins later and got a reading of 15 ohms, then 10 mins later we tested again and it dropped to 4ohms, went back upstairs and tested the out going armoured again , it still read 0.10 ohms, went back downstairs and tested again at the 3 phase board and got a reading of 28ohms this time, it has me beat, ive inspected the cable run which is 70% clipped direct , but disappears into a flat roof space , any ideas guys , any help would be appreciated, i have not meggered the cable yet as the shop is in use, which i suspect im going to have to do.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back