flue/boiler advice

My boiler has just been condemmed as the flue which goes into a small lightwell is no longer allowed. I need to change my boiler anyway from a regular combi to, I guess, a condensing one (from what I've read) for a 1 bedroom flat. My main concern is what to do about the flue - it will need to reach up to the roof which is 3 floors away. Is this possible and is it true that some boilers can use regular plastic piping as flues? (or it seems that I'll be paying around £40 per metre for extension pieces). Any suggestions or advice on the best boiler and flue to get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you bought the flat? what`s a lightwell FFS whatever boiler you had must have been vented adequately without going 3 stories away, a clue would be handy, look at the top of your boiler where does the big white pipe go? Does it go straight up through the ceiling? Or out through the wall?
It currently goes straight out into lightwell which was apparently ok to do when I bought the flat and installed it there 12 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Practically speaking that probably would need scaffolding adding about £900 to the cost of the job!

Apart from the problem that Kestons have not proved very reliable, a better solution would be to discharge across your flat thus saving the scaffolding cost.

Tony

Practically speaking that probably would need scaffolding adding about £900 to the cost of the job!

Apart from the problem that Kestons have not proved very reliable, a better solution would be to discharge across your flat thus saving the scaffolding cost.

Tony
Is it possible/allowed to run a flue from the boiler inside my kitchen and along the top of my sitting room walls and out through the main external wall? (not ideal but guess could box it in but would also need planning permission for flue to exit this wall - my upstairs neighbours are currently applying for their new boiler flue). It seems all the options are quite difficult.

Sponsored Links
A Flue in a lightwell must be within 1 metre of top level to allow proper disperssion of products. so your best bet is try and find somewhere else for boiler

Is it possible/allowed to run a flue from the boiler inside my kitchen and along the top of my sitting room walls and out through the main external wall? (not ideal but guess could box it in but would also need planning permission for flue to exit this wall - my upstairs neighbours are currently applying for their new boiler flue). It seems all the options are quite difficult.

In spite of what Namsag says, it IS possible to box in a flue PROVIDING access panels are fitted so that all the joints can be inspected!

You done even need to box it in either!

Tony

A Flue in a lightwell must be within 1 metre of top level to allow proper disperssion of products. so your best bet is try and find somewhere else for boiler
Do you mean 1 metre above the top of the lightwell?

In spite of what Namsag says, it IS possible to box in a flue PROVIDING access panels are fitted so that all the joints can be inspected!

You done even need to box it in either!

Tony
Thanks for boxing info as don't really fancy a flue going across sitting room that isn't boxed in if go for this option.

No below the top level

Agile is of course right you can leave access panels but a flue must be inspectable along its entire length not just sections

No below the top level

Agile is of course right you can leave access panels but a flue must be inspectable along its entire length not just sections
That'll mean it will be close to neighbours windows which are about 1m down from roof level so guess back to square one. Think this is going to be a very expensive nightmare.

No that is the most below the top it can go, but it can go above roof level which is better.
but its going to be dear and very limited choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back