flue box or not to box?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
hi fellas
yeah thats a good name i picked but doesnt make me invincible though.
i'll try to explain what i want to do and see what you think of it.
i've removed an old gas fire and cleared out the builders opening and intend to fit an ILFE gas fire. A flexible flue liner is already fitted but will be replaced since its got holes in it. I'm thinking that a liner has to be used (even though the property is close to 100 years old) because i can see metal (gas? hot water?) pipes and a plastic pipe up the inside of the chimney belonging to the upstairs neibour. these pipes may not be perfectly sealed and allow fumes into their flat. Also i don't know for sure if the chimney is in good condition anyway.
I want to rebuild the fireplace opening with brick since i'm rather good at it and i've got lots of them. the problem to overcome is how to connect the flue liner to the fire?
I know i could use a flue box but why buy one when really i'm making a box already with bricks but without a 'lid' and connector for the flue liner. surely i could use a flue gather which could form the 'lid' or top of my brick flue box and make the connection with the flue liner?
Or leave the brick opening open topped which is fine according to the MI's instructions of the fire, and fit a flue gather up the chimney where its really supposed to go.
what do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back