Flue brick dimensions Circa 1970 ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I really hope somebody can help,
We're thinking of removing our gas fire and installing a wood burner, however, our flue is made from hollow concrete blocks, which if memory serves are the same size externally as a breeze block.
I need to know the internal dimensions of these type of blocks to see if I can have a liner made with sufficient csa to be safely used, but having spent hours online, I can't seem to find any info on these older flue liners, other than a picture of some that were sold at auction.

View media item 71385
I don't want to rip the fire out if it's a complete no go, but hoping somebody may be able to help.

Many thanks in advance guys[/img][/url]

Sponsored Links
<Snipped>
I need to know the internal dimensions of these type of blocks to see if I can have a liner made with sufficient csa to be safely used,

I don't want to rip the fire out if it's a complete no go.

I am pretty sure it is simply a no go from the start. Essentially the problem is not so much the csa. The minimum dimensions simply cannot be achieved. Having a narrow slot of a flue may be OK for gas but not for wood burners.

http://www.hetas.co.uk/wp-content/mediauploads/BFCMA-General-Guidance-10-12-12.pdf See page five

The other problem is the flue is class 2 and the insulation required from combustable materials is greater for a class 1 flue

Sponsored Links
Hi Blagard, thanks for the reply.
Yes, it looks as though it's a non starter.
The only other option is going straight up next to the wall and boxing in, but may just scrap the whole idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back