Flue (not Pig, Asian or Bird)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy Guys

Bought the fire place today, it's a copy Edwardian job with a class 1 decorative gas fire.
Chimney sweep is booked for next Monday.

Then it's a flue fit.

So 1st question is can I DIY the flue installation, if not, can I at least do the liner drop and make off the cowl ?

2nd question is about flue types. The majority of flues seem to be
Class (2) Industry Certification and is Tested to BS715 And Has CE Approval

Does that make it suitable for a class 1 gas fire ?

Final question is about the fire place void. The house is a Edwardian terrace so due to it being the front / largest room the void is about 36" wide then shrinks to a 12" x 12" chimney at about picture rail height.

So what do I do with regards to the flue end at the fire place ?

Is there a plate that would fit, or should it be some sort of non combustable material made up and then leave the rest to the fire fitter (who is gas safe / recommended by the shop).

Ta for any help / thoughts / advice.

Sponsored Links
Well having just gone through Build regs doc J I thought I'd got it sussed.

125mm s/s flue, 316 standard single skin and a top cowl that retains the liner and fits over the existing chimney.

Then I've got back to looking at class 1 gas (decorative) fires otherwise known as DFE's- decorative fire effect.

There's heaps available and nearly all imply that provided the chimney is swept that a flue liner isn't required.

Cut and paste:-

Provided the appliance is fitted in accordance with manufacturers specifications Class 1 fires normally do not require a Flue Liner.

Unless someone can shed words of wisdom I'll awaiting the chimney sweep on Monday and subject to what he says chase up the fire shop and get the fitters details.

The house is 1914 build and the chimneys were designed to pull a big draft up. Having done a DIY pull test with some burning paper the draw seems excellent.

Since the fire is below 7kw, natural room air circulation is okay- one advantage of having the original windows still in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back