FLUE FLAP MISSING ~ how can I bodge something?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again you friendly folks of DIYNOT

I've got ten days to get a bedroom ready for a lodger, so I need to sort out the Victorian cast iron fireplace asap.

The flue flap has always been missing and some years ago I cut an oval-shaped piece of cardboard, painted it black and slotted it in. It looked great, but 20 years of of cream-coloured brick dust and rubble accumulated on top and has made it collapse. We've just filled half a black sack with rubble and dust.

Photo shows the fireplace with the piece of black painted cardboard in the flue hole.

I could do the same again, I suppose, but wondered if anyone on here had a better solution than flimsy cardboard. Hardboard perhaps? Plywood? Something else I haven't thought of?

(I don't drive, so searching salvage yards for a flap that fits just isn't feasible.)

Perhaps someone on here has the same problem and can share how they solved it?

Attachments

• room 3 (6).jpg
    room 3 (6).jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 213
Sponsored Links
Some thin ply, painted Matt black would work just fine - so long as you don't need to bend it to get it in!
If you are getting a lot of debris coming down, it could be a good move to have the chimney swept.
John :)

Thanks John.

Someone "in real life" just suggested a line of bricks mortared together across the inside of the chimney, just above the hole, then plaster it and paint that black.

This sounds good to me as I have all the materials lying about already!

Seems to be a hard way of achieving this but nothing to stop you cracking on! If you are worried about the odd draught then a poly bag stuffed with something does just as well.

Sponsored Links
Just go for your original idea, using a thicker material such as 3mm plywood.....it seemed to last long enough before!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back