flue / flat roof problem

interesting, thanks everyone. Good to get a legal perspective on things, even though I am pretty sure we won't need to go that route. Just for info, my particular road is about 7 or 8 houses that the estate agents describe as 'link detached'. I'm sure you know the form .... main body of houses are genuinely detached, but the garages sit between the houses and are attached both sides. My new flat roof extends the garage to the rear. The point is we've had the issue of access over flat roofs for maintenance ever since the houses were built.

Also, (stop me if I'm boring you), the property boundaries are quite confusing - it's impossible to draw a straight line that forms an obvious boundary between 'mine' and 'theirs' because the garages overlap the position where you'd probably draw that line. In other words, if my neighbour looks straight down his left flank wall, overlapping that line by about 40cm is the right hand wall of my garage. I've no idea how you would go about solving boundary issues around here, but I'm sure there are plenty of solicitors that would be happy to assist .....

I was beginning to wonder when I looked at the picture more closely and was going to ask if it was link detached.

Therefore, you probably have no scope to raise it due to ceiling heights inside the property.

A compromise between you and the neighbour, re-site boiler and half the cost of doing so as it can't be solved anyother way, this will be cheaper for you.

From what I remember link detached do not have defined boundaries within the dimensions of the main house bit like terraces and would normally be call the party wall where this stands with the building regs well...I don't know.

Your garden however, will have a defined boundary.

By the way, I got a flue for one of those around 10 months ago through parts center, had to ring the manufacturer though as the number in the manual has change. The GC No- for the boiler is 41-429-33. sorry manual does not do a GC No- or product No for the flue.

Also, they did a vertex flue for this model, I have never seen it and would never have believed it unless I read it in the manual, that could solve the problem of re-siting if you could get the flue system, found that out today after I rooted out the old manual.

I ment to say the number for the flue has changed from what was on the parts center computer system.

Sponsored Links
thanks 1canhelp, some good detailed info there. My plumber is back from holiday soon so I will ask him what he can find by way of parts - I am not optimistic however.

I think raising the boiler, or at least the position of the outlet, may be possible. I've looked at my own flue position on my external wall and it is certainly higher than my neighbour's. From what I recall their boiler is positioned a fair way below the ceiling, as mine is. The difference is that mine is a new condenser with an elbow coming out of the top, whereas their flue goes straight out of the back of the boiler. That difference alone is probably worth 300mm. Of course the cheapest option is if their existing boiler can be raised sufficiently - how close to the ceiling are we allowed to go?

OK, so my plumber has had a look today and he believes there is no solution that avoids moving the flue outlet from my neighbour's boiler. Whether we achieve that by moving the existing boiler or fitting a new one remains to be seen. He reckons that as long as we have solution in hand the BCO will be OK with that for now. That is pretty much the final word as far as I'm concerned, so thanks to all who replied.

As an aside, the plumber said I shouldn't feel too bad about overlooking this problem as it's nowhere near the worst situation he has come across - he tells me he has worked on similar jobs where the flue outlet was INSIDE the new structure, happily pumping out its noxious stuff whilst the builders were at work. You couldn't make it up.

Sponsored Links
As far as I can remember, with non-condensing fan flued boilers, you could go up off a top turret with an extension, and then bend down to the horizontal. Some boilers had side/rear/top options.

Of course, a new condensing boiler with weather comp would be best.

As regards "You couldn't make it up!", look at the posts ending 4th July re a flue in an entry between two terraced houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back