Flue for a wood burning stove

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning an extension to our kitchen to create a family type room and were thinking of a wood burning stove in a corner of the new room.

It will have a flat roof (possible zinc) and due to the height of the garden, will effecting have the lawn just under window level (at least in the corner where it would make most sense to locate the stove), therefore the flue may be reachable by someone standing on the lawn at that corner of the building.

My worry is the heat - can you get something like a double lined flue so that it wont be warm/hot to the touch (i would want to avoid having to put a mesh cage round it).

Also, does the flue have to be a certain height from the roof level? I would want a massively tall flue on the corner of the roof!

Sponsored Links
str - I don't know what the rules are in Scotland (Building Control and Building Warrants, etc.) but generally if you flue internally you can use single wall flue pipe (uninsulated so it does get hot!). The Regs say if you want to go up a wall externally (single stove pipe 45 degrees from stove to wall, then adapter to twin-wall (insulated) stainless steel through the wall then up, again in twin-wall SS to above roof level. These twin-wall jobbies don't get hot. Obviously, if you go internal with single you'll need to consider intumescent seal (fire-proof) where it punches through the ceiling and then some form of weather flashing.

Try Google for "stainless steel flue" or "wood burner flue" or similar for tons of info, installation info & approx costs.

I'm in NI and have done something similar but my extension is two floors so had to go out through the wall and up. Used twin-wall stainless, as above; the fluing cost a grand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back