Installing a freestanding flue for a wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a SIDEROS Jolie wood burner in my study. This is a single storey room with a pitched roof. Having been quoted £1900 to install a twin-wall flue, I’m contemplating doing it myself but am getting confused by the information I am reading online. Perhaps some of you guys can help me. I want to install the stove in the corner formed by an external wall and a party wall. I have already laid a granite hearth on a concrete floor ready to receive it. The granite is big enough to accommodate stove with door open & is bedded on a mix of sand and lime. It’s approximately 3 metres from top of the stove to the roofs ridge and I am expecting the flue to extend about 1metre above ridge.

There are three decisions I am wrestling with:

1. Should I take the flue straight up through the ceiling and out through the tiled roof or, via two 45 degree bends, out through the wall to an external twin-wall flue? The quote was for twin-wall stainless straight up, but since this would be 6” (internal) diameter (I think 8” external) this won’t be visually very pleasing since it will be rather out of proportion with the stove. I'm concerned that a "bent" flue won't draw as well.

2. Following on from 1 how much single-wall flue could I sensibly use before switching to twin wall? If I go through the wall I wondered if I could get away with single-wall flue up to the point of passing through the wall, which would be more pleasing to the eye. I guess the same question applies to a flue going straight up through the ceiling. I’ve read that twin wall has to extend a minimum of 150mm below the ceiling, the inference being that single wall will be ok up to there, which again would solve my appearance issue. This also squares with advice elsewhere about keeping single wall for as much as possible to retain heat in the room. But elsewhere the advice is either a max of 1500mm of single-wall or twin-wall all the way. I’m confused.

3. I wasn’t planning to do anything to the walls but having read advice elsewhere about re-plastering an existing chimney, should I do anything to the walls (e.g. tiling)? They are currently ordinary plaster.

Thanks in anticipation for any help

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back