Flue in thermolite blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to install a new gas fire in our lounge, replacing the one that is currently there. I know our flue was replaced from top to bottom around 10 years ago by the previous owners, and it currently runs as follows:

Twin wall outside, running into roof, where it is joined to a single wall liner in the attic. It then runs down the original chimney in the bedroom into the lounge. Because the lounge has been "tanked", there is now a fabricated drywall chimney, which sits in front of the orginal chimney (with tanking behind). Inside the fabricated chimney the flue runs within a thermolite block surround. The flue is also insulated within the block surround with insulating (foam-like) material.

I have read that a single wall flue must run within a masonary surround, but I've heard that thermolite blocks aren't acceptable. Does anyone know if this is the case? If so, does anyone have any bright ideas that will help me get around this, without ripping down the whole fabricated chimney?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Is the existing flue lined? If so and it terminates correctly then it may be ok dependant of they fire you want.

If not thermalite is not acceptable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back