Flue installed too close to Roof Eves....options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Complete none technical noob here, so be gentle....

I had a Central Heating system installed 4 years ago by a CORGI registered installer (Ferroli Modena 80E boiler). It was installed in an upstairs bedroom. I have had a heating inspection today as im due to move house in the next few days, and it turns out that the flue is too close to eves of the roof, only 50mm instead of the Manuf recommended 200mm. According to the inspecting plumber, there is no marking to the eves, so in that respect isnt currently a problem...but will need sorting at some point using 'Asbestolux(?)' or some other sort of heat retardant. Given the length of time, how do i stand with expecting the original installer to apply some sort of fix? Personally i believe they should sort it, and im currently waiting for them to get back to me, but what do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
You can certainly try - in these situations we usually just install the boiler with a slightly longer than normal flue ('tis what I have done at home).

Whether or not you get any joy is another thing. If they refuse you could always try the CORGI route. It is hardly the most difficult remedial work in the world.

The usual is aluminium sheet. Thin stuff is easy to fold round the angles and you can screw straight through it.

Sponsored Links
Yes and yes.
My local timberyard stocks it. Ask at a plumber's merchant for "closure plate" (the sheet which goes behind a gas fire) they might do steel or aluminium.

BES (online so not appropriate for one sheet):
6981 26" x 18" 24 SWG £1.15

You can cut it with a straight edge and a few strokes of a Stanley knife, or tinsnips at a pinch.

If I remember correctly the aluminium sheet has to extend 1m either side of flue and has to have a 5mm gap above it and the eaves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back