Flue material

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
artex was a favourite

Ah Artex - I remember my ol' man moving into a place that had an average of 4" long points hanging off the ceiling and getting me and my brother (8 and 12 ish at the time) scraping the stuff off by hand with no protection :LOL:

The things we got up to back in the day :D.

Do you think it is safe/possible for me to slide the collar (that is being held by the two jubilee clips) down so that I can get access to the upper section of the flue?

The flue is currently unused - the boiler that it was connected to is long gone.

Bonded asbestos, (asbestos cement), is relatively inert provided it remains intact, breaking it will release fibres. I'd wear a suitable dustmask, and some disposable overalls, damp it down with a garden sprayer, and work carefully. What were you hoping to achieve?

Bonded asbestos, (asbestos cement), is relatively inert provided it remains intact, breaking it will release fibres. I'd wear a suitable dustmask, and some disposable overalls, damp it down with a garden sprayer, and work carefully. What were you hoping to achieve?

I've installed a fan in the bathroom ceiling and need to route the vent to the outside world

And you want to do this via an old asbestos flue which could release asbestos fibres back into your home?

And you want to do this via an old asbestos flue which could release asbestos fibres back into your home?

How will it do that? The bottom section of flue will not be connected to bathroom shower vent, only the top section - that's why I want to move that collar. I was also thinking about capping off the bottom section.

And, it is already capped off at the bottom end i.e. in the house.

Won't the wind potentially blow back down the vent when the fan isn't running, taking fibres with it into your room?

Ok, I hear what you guys are saying. The fan does have flaps which are supposed to close it when it's not running, but I do take your point.

Maybe back to the original plan of having a roofer fit an extraction tile.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back