Flue removal - External Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed a gas fire mid way up a flight of stairs, there was obviously a hole with a flue pipe/vent going directly outside with an external wall. As it wasn't priority at the time, I stuffed it with a rag, and sealed it over with a bag to stop the gale force draft.

Now, I've got time to sort it out and can comprehend the problem. My plan was to pull out the pipe, fill the hole with brick and mortar then plaster over it. Repeat outside minus the plaster.

However, we have some stone type cladding/tiling outside, and the flue is actually cemented/bonded into the wall, probably at brick and cladding level. I was just going to **** it out with a hammer, but now I'm worried that messing about with it might pull all the tiles off. It all feels solid, I was thinking about just chiselling around it, and sliding the flue out, and then just fill it?

The flue sits proud of the internal plaster, and has an ugly went at eyeliner on the exterior

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC_0443.JPG
    DSC_0443.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC_0442.JPG
    DSC_0442.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0441.JPG
    DSC_0441.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0440.JPG
    DSC_0440.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
lightlychisel out around the terminal. try an wiggle it about.
inside the wall use a block of wood to beat on an push the liner loose an out.photo 0440.
fill the holes with mortar an bits of brick.
then get a similar stone piece ,its probly that fake stone,an set it to cover the outsidehole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back