Flue replacement - what happens to fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6IwqzlF.jpg

Roofing contractors damaged the flue behind this gas fire. They have proposed replacing the flue.

What do you think needs to come off the wall here to do that? My mother is having kittens over the prospect of the surround and everything having to come off, which is what has basically been suggested, and the prospect of damage behind caused.

I would think it would certainly be the fire itself, of course, and the brown fascia. I wonder whether the white surround would really need to come off. For sure, the brown fascia is behind the surround, but the fascia is somewhat flexible.

Even if the surround has to come off, isn't it viable to put it back on and maybe caulk would suffice to restore any damage?

Thank.

Sponsored Links
It almost certainly all needs to come out, and the reinstallation including the flue liner needs to be done by a Gas Safe Registered engineer with a Fires qualification. The roofers cannot do it themselves

It almost certainly all needs to come out, and the reinstallation including the flue liner needs to be done by a Gas Safe Registered engineer with a Fires qualification. The roofers cannot do it themselves

"All" meaning what, do you think?
Even the concrete hearth?

Sponsored Links
Builders could do the hearth but the surround & fascia definitely needs a GSR installer. Can't see why the hearth would need to come out though

What kind of flue is it they are replacing? Is it the actual chimney that's been damaged or is it a flue liner? What have they damaged and where is it? Given they are roofers was it at the top of the chimney?

If it's the liner that needs replaced then the fire and section around it is coming out. I wouldn't think the wooden surround would need to come out though. Best to ask them I guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back