Flue Under Bathroom Window - Exhaust Smell In Flat

Sponsored Links
If fumes are entering your window then it overrides anything about clearances etc because it's immediately obvious it's dangerous. If you were CO poisoned the installer would still be liable for it. You can call 0800 111 999 to get someone out to check for safety free of charge but it will be hard to prove if the boiler isn't running at the time (because it's not your own).

vertical flue from adjacent window should be 1000mm, 300mm is for horizontal flues. Call gas safe they will also come out free of charge and will be better to advise than national grid.

Most vertical flues like that need to be 600 mm away from the nearest wall.

Its not clear if that is achieved in that case and the exact figure depends on the makers instructions.

But that's irrelevant in respect of your problem.

My view is that its unlikely to be producing dangerous levels of CO inside your property. I am surprised that you can smell it too because products of combustion are pretty odourless.

But you can complain to several people:-

Local EHO

Local BC

Gas Safe

The first two have powers of entry to the boiler after giving notice. G-S don't and have to reply on the owner to co-operate.

G-S could measure the level of CO in your property as could probably the EHO.

But any results will vary widely according to the wind direction.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Well, I have a good relationship with the neighbour.

What can be done with the pipes ... can they be for instance routed to the wall then up and outletted at the top of that wall ?

Or can a Dogleg be added to just move the exhaust 0.5 m further away from the window in line with the wall. That probably would give the gas time to rise away from the window.

(builder said 300mm from the wall was in the manual he showed me it - but in the picture there is a brick wall and not an open window .. he said that the gas was not harmful !!!!)

"Builder" ?

Sounds as if he is not Gas Safe registered?

Ask him for his G-S number!

That kind of flue can only be repositioned from underneath the roof!

What is distance from outside of the flue to your window horizontally?

Tony

It's about 70 cm.

It is just underneath the height of the window ledge, so as the exhaust comes out and escapes it dissipates and enters the window as it rises. It's easy to see as the vapour is visible and you can stand by the window and smell it... as the wind moves around the pattern changes, but its definitely coming in as a going concern.

Can the flue pipe not be extended and sort of staggered so it is moved further away ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back