Flue venting into kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've a Valliant Ecotec boiler and recently had it serviced.

There are two plastic caps on the plastic ring that joins the boiler to the chimney flue. I guess they are for inspection or something? Anyway, I recently noticed water gathering below the boiler and when I checked one of these caps was undone and lying loose on top of the boiler. I'm pretty sure this is where the steam is coming from that is creating the water. The service engineer must have removed this.

Firstly, I assume I should screw it back on? Secondly, is this going to have been leaking Carbon Monoxide back into the room or just water?

The water has damaged the boiler cupboard so need to speak to the engineer about that too..

Sponsored Links
Yeah screw that cap back in straight away! That is where a combustion analysis would be recorded. It is common for an engineer who is in a rush or distracted to forget to put it back in. It would be leaking products of combustion, and possibly CO also. I'd advise the engineer of his mistake and not use them again. A simple mistake like that could of had severe consequences. Also I would ask him to check the gas test points on the meter again with you watching to ensure he has not also left a gas leak!

Thanks for replying. Cap went back on. I was with British Gas Homecare and had signed up for a years contract.

Obviously, I'm unhappy with the work and don't want to remain in the contract. Also, the steam venting from the flue has blown the chipboard on the cupboard surround. Whilst they are offering to refund me cupboard replacement costs they won't pay for the fact I had to take two days off to deal with the problem.

Anyone know what rights I have?

BG strike again!

Tell them that you had to take the days off work as I believe you felt ill. During this time, I remember that you mentioned something about purchasing a CO detector, this went off as soon as it was installed net the boiler. You carried out a visual inspection of the recently serviced boiler and found that the combustion test plug had not been replaced. Shortly after you replaced the cap you began to feel better. Ever since you replaced the cap, I'm sure that you said you've been feeling ok. Due to the flu-like symptoms at this time of year, you initially thought it was flu and not possible CO poisoning from a recently serviced boiler.

James.

Sponsored Links
Obviously, I'm unhappy with the work and don't want to remain in the contract. Also, the steam venting from the flue has blown the chipboard on the cupboard surround. Whilst they are offering to refund me cupboard replacement costs they won't pay for the fact I had to take two days off to deal with the problem.

Don`t to forget that because of the engineers negligence all your kids now have asthma,your carpets have curled up,your rabbit`s are dead and now you are going bald, milk it for all it`s worth..ideally,get qualified and fix it yourself! This claim culture makes me want to vomit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back