Boiler flue accessible ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,thank you all for your previous help.

Our potterton combi has been condemned during a service visit,the service engineer could not inspect the single flue clamp join flue join in the ceiling void although the previous engineers were able to inspect the flue by dropping the adjacent downlighter and getting an arm to give it a pull,w e have been told due to the age 14/15 years the boiler needs changing.
He was in our property for less than 5minutes and told us about being poisoned by carbon monoxide,the boiler was not serviced and left in working order.
No alternative fix was mentioned,we do not want to change the boiler as the same company changed many parts last Xmas and it seems to work very well.

Is there an alternative way to fix the access so access is better,we don't really have the cash to spend out on a different independent engineer,we put our trust in a national gas repairsupply company.
Although any remedial access work if necessary,cash is available.

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would not be interested in pulling out a downlighter to inspect a flue, either, TBF
What is immediately above the boiler?

What is immediately above the boiler?

Thank you for the reply, top of the cupboard is immediately above the boiler.

Why do you ask ? Did the services company miss anything else ?

Ta again :D

Sponsored Links
What is above the ceiling that the flue goes through ? I'm not GS registered so I'll offer no advice on that aspect. I'm just intrigued as to why a service engineer thought a hand through a light hole and a feel around would be an adequate inspection:unsure:

I wouldn't necessarily have condemned the boiler rather specify that an access panel needs to be inserted into the ceiling so that the flue can be properly inspected. Sounds like a bit of up-selling there TBH. Who redid the ceiling as it should have been identified then.

Why was it not serviced?, it just needs a flue in voids notice to advise to rectify and an at risk notice to inform the full visual flue integrity couldn't be checked. There is no reason at all it can't be serviced.

Picasso,took time to place a definite and very helpful reply,now my question was answered.

Madrab,thank you for your reply.
Ollski,thank you for your reply.
NigelF,again thank you for your reply.

The access hatch mentioned by Picasso is being fitted tomorrow and the service company is visiting the next day to complete the service.

My post is now answered,so please take time to assist others rather than posting any more comments here.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back