Fluidmaster float valve 400uk in toilet emits a whistling noise when not in use ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me please.

I have a Fluidmaster 400UK float valve in my toilet cistern and it keeps emitting a intermittent high pitch whistling noise when not being used ?

When it happens I take the lid off and push the fluidmaster on right hand side and it stops for a bit.
Is there any easy fix for this, maybe use wd40 on it maybe or can the height of it be adjusted if that would help ?
Would it be possible to just replace the top part of fluidmaster 400 uk in situ without removing valve completely and flexihose ?

Many thanks
Phil.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi

I have a Fluidmaster 400UK float valve in my toilet cistern and it keeps emitting an intermittent high pitch whistling noise when not being used ?

When it happens I take the lid off and push the fluidmaster on right hand side and it stops for a bit.
Is there any easy fix for this, maybe use wd40 on it maybe or can the height of it be adjusted if that would help ?

Is it possible to just replace the top part of fluidmaster 400 uk in situ without removing valve completely and flexi hose below ?

Many thanks
Phil.

You water pressure may be quite high and it's pushing past the rubber seal.

Yes you can just remove the top part of the fill valve ( once the water's shut off). Pull the grey/black plastic lock ring upwards till it clicks, then the whole top of the valve pulls up and off, leaving the shank of the fill valve still in the cistern. Buy another one and fit in reverse. Once fitted and the ring snapped back down, twist the section of the valve you just replaced to get to the desired height.

Sponsored Links
I have done some more research on the net - would undoing the top cap of fluid master and cleaning
the fluidmaster Multi-Pressure Float Valve Diaphragm Washer or replacing it stop the whistling ?

I have done some more research on the net - would undoing the top cap of fluid master and cleaning
the fluidmaster Multi-Pressure Float Valve Diaphragm Washer or replacing it stop the whistling ?
What did your research reveal and cleaning the valve is quick n easy therefore a good place to start.

Fluidmaster technical would be a good place to start.
Dismantling and then reassembly often clears debris that can cause such issues.
Do that before buying any spares.

Cheers thank for the help - I will do that clean it first and the Diaphragm.

My fluidmaster 400 float value keeps squeaking and whistling and it is coming from the top cap.

I bought another fluidmaster 400 and wondered if it is ok to just replace the top cap but is it compatible although they are both the same model one is a few years older and writing different on the top cap compared to the new one.

Checked the instructions and it also said you should not use on the old shank as thought about doing that so as not to disconnect the flexihose and cause more leaks ?
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back