Fluke 1653 Error 5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did an earth loop test on a water heater today in an office block at the factory where I work. The Fluke 1653 came up with Err5. When I checked this in the manual, I found that it stood for Error 5-excessive noise.

When I checked a few other parts of the area, they too came up with the same error message.

I've never come across this error before, and I can't see why the area of the appliance should be subject to more noise than other parts of the factory that have large DC motors, invertors, DC drives etc.

One of my colleagues had an older type tester and seemed to work OK.

Any ideas as to why this error is occurring and if there is a way around it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
as i have said before, im not a spark but like to learn! The wiring, amps , use of cables/sizes etc i find easy to understand, but the understanding of how electric works seems to be a different ball game! Seems that when you manage to understand this the rest is simple?

Electrical machines such as DC motors and AC invertors for example put voltage spikes on the supply lines that travel all over the area. I assume that is what is happening.

The factory has power factor correction and more importantly for this problem, harmonic filters. So I can't see why just this one small area of the installation gives this error, everywhere else is fine.

I've tried it several times with the same error each time.

We sometimes get the same error message testing CAT* data links. Never have got to the bottom of it.

My KT64 has a display symbol 'noise'. The manual states that when doing EFLI testing and this displays you can get a reading by turning off ATT (anti trip technology). ATT is to stop RCD trip during test. Not sure if Fluke has this feature?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back