Fluorescent light booster won't turn

Sponsored Links
FSU means Fluorescent Starter Universal, though why its called that i dont know as it only does some not all, single tubes, usually 4watt to 65watt mainly.
All are physically same connection, though as you found some cases vary shape, why some are tight, who knows.

The codes can be a bit of a minefield, never seen P6 before, its likely a personal manufacturers code.
Best thing is to say what tube you have or post a picture of the writing on the end.

The main 2 starters you are likely to ever need are,

FSU 4-65 watt these will do 2ft 20watt,4ft 36watt and 5ft 58watt, single tubes amongst less popular other sizes.
Fs125 will mainly do 6ft 70watt single tube but ensure it has 70w stamped on it, 6ft is a temperamental size, one marked 75w 6ft is not the same as one specifically marked 70w 6ft.

As a guide ensure the **W printed on the tube is also printed on the starter., ie 58W is within the range of a 4-65w starter, its as simple as that.
Uk starters should all be the correct voltage you need 220-240 volt, the only series starters with different voltages stamped on them will likely state 4-22 watts on them and its unlikely your tubes are within that wattage range anyway.
These are mainly in 4 tube commercial lights, where as Winston implies they series two lamps together.
333rocky333, thanks for the detailed information and advice. I think that what you say is enough to ensure that I buy the correct one(s) — there are other fluorescent tubes, of different lengths etc., in the house. I would not be very concerned, now, in ordering FSUs.
With kind regards, to everyone that has contributed!
L.L.

I think that what you say is enough to ensure that I buy the correct one

Bear in mind theres also colour codes, main ones being

827 warm white 2700 kelvins
835 white 3500k
840 cool white 4000k
865 daylight 6500k

variations based around the Kelvin number exist, ie 58w /35 is a 5ft White Tube

As well as sizes

4ft =1200mm
5ft =1500mm
6ft =1800mm

Also Diameters of tube mainly T8 nowadays for domestic

T8 is roughly 1 inch or 25 mm overall diameter

Bear in mind theres also colour codes, main ones being

827 warm white 2700 kelvins
835 white 3500k
840 cool white 4000k
865 daylight 6500k

variations based around the Kelvin number exist, ie 58w /35 is a 5ft White Tube

As well as sizes

4ft =1200mm
5ft =1500mm
6ft =1800mm

Also Diameters of tube mainly T8 nowadays for domestic

T8 is roughly 1 inch or 25 mm overall diameter
Thanks once again, Rocky. I shall save this information with the rest, for later reference. While this thread is active, let me mention something new that has arisen. It concerns a different tube — the one in my study. Because of the clocks having gone back, I have needed to switch this on only recently. Every time this is done, it will fire up after a second or two, and fill with light, right across the tube. It will then provide light in the normal way, for perhaps five minutes. Then, it will go completely off, stay off for a good second or more, then flash as if it had only just been switched on. Perhaps ten seconds of steady light follows. Then it will go off completely again, and the same process is repeated. Yesterday, it went off no less than seven times, before settling down as normal. No other lights in the house blink in this way (my wife tells me) during this time, so it is this fluorescent light only that does this. It would be natural to think that the tube is on the way to failing, of course, but the way that if finally settles down seems to belie this. Can you offer any comment about this?
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Possibly the starter. Have you still got the one you removed from the other light as I believe there was nothing wrong with it? Worth a try.

Possibly the starter. Have you still got the one you removed from the other light as I believe there was nothing wrong with it? Worth a try.
No, but it's likely that I have another one. I will monitor this light for a while before changing the starter. It's a relief that you don't think it is the tube though. For me at 87, it would be quite a task (physically) to replace it.

No, but it's likely that I have another one. I will monitor this light for a while before changing the starter. It's a relief that you don't think it is the tube though. For me at 87, it would be quite a task (physically) to replace it.
Oh dear. If it turned out not to be the starter the tube was going to be my next suggestion.

Oh dear. If it turned out not to be the starter the tube was going to be my next suggestion.
Winston1, I'm gobsmacked! The tube in the study has done what I described above, for about four nights (i.e. since the clocks were put back, and I started to need a light in the early evening). I had come to believe that this was a settled pattern of how it would be from now on. Yet, tonight, for the first time since started switching it on this autumn, it came on and stayed on, with no blinks or false starts, for over fifteen minutes! I shall need to leave the study soon, but I don't believe it will start blinking again (not tonight, anyway). I can't understand why it did what I said, because it now seems OK.
L.L.

Does seem odd, Luke, unsure what is causing that, as for it to restrike after a while numerous times seems rare, is the room coldish, sometimes tubes left off for a time can do strange things, I find new tubes off my van are sometimes slow to stabilise at first, i assume the cold somehow affects the gas.
Unfortunately its often the case to fit a Tube and a starter to eliminate the problem, but appreciate your predicament, so dont do nothing foolish.
Hopefully you live up to your name and it sorts itself out.
Take care and stay safe.

Does seem odd, Luke, unsure what is causing that, as for it to restrike after a while numerous times seems rare, is the room coldish, sometimes tubes left off for a time can do strange things, I find new tubes off my van are sometimes slow to stabilise at first, i assume the cold somehow affects the gas.
Unfortunately its often the case to fit a Tube and a starter to eliminate the problem, but appreciate your predicament, so dont do nothing foolish.
Hopefully you live up to your name and it sorts itself out.
Take care and stay safe.
Rocky, the room is rather cold. It has an electric heater that I turn on only when I start to use the room (for about two hours each day). So, it seems right to assume that this could have been the cause of the multiple strikes. Though why it should be different on just one day out of seven beats me. Also, it has never happened in previous years, with the same tube.
With kind regards and thanks,
L.L.

Rocky, the room is rather cold. It has an electric heater that I turn on only when I start to use the room (for about two hours each day). So, it seems right to assume that this could have been the cause of the multiple strikes. Though why it should be different on just one day out of seven beats me. Also, it has never happened in previous years, with the same tube.
With kind regards and thanks,
L.L.

This is one situation where I think it may be worth replacing the tubes and starters with these (of the appropriate length):

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/LEDlite/LED_Tubes/index.html

Whilst they are not as bright as a (new) fluorescent tube, they come on to full brightness instantly, none of that swirling mist effect.
Alternatively fit HF fittings, which are better from cold than the old choke/starter type:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...uorescent_Index/HF_Batten_Fittings/index.html

This is one situation where I think it may be worth replacing the tubes and starters with these (of the appropriate length):

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/LEDlite/LED_Tubes/index.html

Whilst they are not as bright as a (new) fluorescent tube, they come on to full brightness instantly, none of that swirling mist effect.
Alternatively fit HF fittings, which are better from cold than the old choke/starter type:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...uorescent_Index/HF_Batten_Fittings/index.html
Thanks for the tip, davelx. Though I don't think that I shall be replacing the tube, information is always useful.
L.L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back