fluorescent light for home office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I work from home a lot and have moved house and going to convert one of the double bedrooms into a home office, it is about 3m x 3m.

I am looking for some recommend on good daylight fluorescent type light fittings that don't look like they should be in a shed, but give out flicker free comfortable light.

Any ideas? I am having trouble finding much

Sponsored Links
To some extent, all flu fittings look utilitarian.

You need HF for flicker-free operation and Louvre diffusers if you're using VDU's a lot.

Thank you, Yes I will be using my computer a lot, and also do a lot of electronic circuit design and building, so soldering, etc.

Keen to have good light, but not to have something that looks out of place in the house.

Seems a tricky balance, some of the modern ones I like the look of are £400, thats a bit much for me :)

Add.

This looks not too bad, but no info on the tube, etc.
http://www.keslighting.co.uk/Ceiling-Lights/Eglo-Auriga-Energy-Efficient-Ceiling-Fitting-88088

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I plan to install work bench on 3 walls of the room. Like you say I will be sitting at the benches.

Thanks for the ideas, my search continues, who would have thought it so hard :)

Thanks all

I am looking for some recommend on good daylight fluorescent type light fittings that don't look like they should be in a shed, but give out flicker free comfortable light.
The top right one here:

or these:

TLG_PLNR_F_CLIT.jpg

TLG_PRSM_F_01.jpg

?

Hi,
I plan to install work bench on 3 walls of the room. Like you say I will be sitting at the benches.
Will there be shelves above?

Hi B.A.S

Wow, awesome the top right one would be perfect, looks really nice, and just the sort of thing I was hoping for.

Will have a click around and see if I can find a price and supplier.

I will have some selves on only one of the 3 walls, no more than 300mm deep, and the work bench will be made from kitchen worktop at 600mm.

Thanks for taking time to look at these, I have spent 2 hours hunting and was not able to find anything.

I will have some selves on only one of the 3 walls, no more than 300mm deep, and the work bench will be made from kitchen worktop at 600mm.
Don't know what your plans are, but...

1) I've got the same, and I used Spur shelving supports for the lot - uprights floor to ceiling, and worktop sitting on the longest brackets they make. You do need to screw through into the worktop, as there's a 20cm overhang (see 2), but it's quite stable. Uprights are about 50cm apart.

2) Don't know where you'll have sockets, but obviously using Spur there'll be a gap at the back for cables. What I've done is to position the worktop further out, and filled in with a length of upstand lying flat - this can be lifted out to give enough room for plugs to be passed through, and then slotted back in.

3) I've got a 300mm shelf just above eye level, and a 400mm one about 900mm above the worksurface. Not at all oppressive, and a pelmet fitted to the front edge allows you to put any cheapo fluorescent batten fittings behind it for your task lighting.

That's not a bad idea, I will put some thought into it.

I am waiting for the plumber to finish all the heating install, floor is up etc...

For sockets, I am planning on some Dado trunking around all 3 walls, tend to end up with various computer equipment, and test stuff that I need to easy plug in, and remove when not in use.

The lights under the shelf are a sweet idea.

Cheers,
Will

BUMP

I am hijacking this thread as I am confused by the market for Fluorescent strip lighting. For starters there are huge price differences, and then there are all these different standards.

I intend to illuminate a small-ish kitchen relatively cheaply. I will use spot lightning under wall mounted kitchen units, as well as a nice ceiling lamp over the table area. But I would like relatively strong lighting in the ceiling for when I actually work/cook. (I will probably switch these off and return to warmer light when we sit down to eat.)

I am confused by the various formats, but I think a single tube at 2ft or 3ft would work best. I am looking to place the light in the ceiling where it is partially 'hidden' by a ventilation pipe casing that goes trough the kitchen ceiling in the middle. Therefore the fixture itself will not be very visible so does not have to be pretty. I'll take your advice on light colour (or is it called temperature?)

What would you say is a decent compromise between price and quality? I am thinking both in terms of the fitting and the tube.

You can use this trunking and put surge-protected sockets in for the PC's, like I did. Only thing is, they need a pattress, so stick out...

DadoTrunking.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back