fluorescent light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please advise me how to comlplete the wiring of a flourescent light in my garage. I have connected the live, neutral and earch from one cable but I have another cable with 2 browns and earth which I assume is the switch, Where do I connect the two browns to, to make the switch work?

Thanks for your time and effort

Sponsored Links
Sorry....yes the two browns come from the light switch but I'm unsure where to connect them to the live, neutral and earth connectors on the light fitting....can anyone help?

So both browns come from the Switch, Are you actually replacing a Light here, or fitting a new one? Whats the switch like, single or two way? have you changed anything in the switch?

I cant understand your needs for two live feeds from the switch...

Have a look n the WIKI too it shows the varied ways for installing lighting...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

I am attempting to replace an existing single bulb rose in the garage with the fluorescent one. In the old light it had six wires connected in two cables. The first cable is normal 3-core brown, blue and earth, whilst the second cable had two browns and an earth. The switch has remained the same and has two browns and an earth connected which I think is one-way. I have a photo of the two lights.

Thanks again

Both earths to the earth terminal
Blue to the neutral terminal on the light
From the twin brown cable, one wire to the live terminal on the light

The remaining 2 brown wires (one from each cable) connect together in a separate terminal block.

Both earths to the earth terminal
Blue to the neutral terminal on the light
From the twin brown cable, one wire to the live terminal on the light

The remaining 2 brown wires (one from each cable) connect together in a separate terminal block.

And if the light is on when the switch is 'off', either turn the switch the other way up or (better) reverse the two browns at the switch.

Thanks very much chaps for your advice.........it works perfectly now :D

I am very grateful for your time and effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back