Flush cone leak and further advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a bit of a mare. 2 1/2 years ago we had a new bathroom & en suite fitted.

Last week the bathroom toilet started overflowing into the pan. The loo is a back to wall Roca against a built in cabinet .The cabinet is this

https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/iflo-Aliano-WC-Base-Unit-Oak-and-Panel-500-x-380mm/p/767045

I popped the top panel off and no sign of the isolating valve so had to remove the main panel which was siliconed to the floor and toilet. After removing the silicone I was met with water, not much but once the panel was removed I found the flush pipe had been leaking from the cone so two issues.

That aside I took the whole lot out. It was a basic black plastic tank with a Macdee Wirquin
(Kara) 2" flush valve and a similar made fill valve. The overflow into the pan was caused by muck in the fill valve.

The flush was rubbish anyway and have since read a few bad things about Wirquin so I replaced both with Fluidmaster versions, all good, flush much better. I also re plumbed the isolating valve so I could access it from the top panel.

Onto the issue. The original flushpipe into the loo was clearly too short so purchased new plus a new flush cone (black rubber as recommended) . When I dragged it all out it was surrounded by loads of clear silicone. The intake to the loo is rammed with silicone. Needless to say I tried my hardest to remove the silicone but some still remains, I can't access it so am working back to front it at the loo is attached (and siliconed ) to a tiled floor.

So I tried the new cone and flushpipe and it leaked. However after a bit of manipulation its dry after multiple flushes but I don't feel happy, the cone isn't that tight either.

What would you do, hope it holds or remove and try and get all the old silicone out. I guess I'll have to remove the toilet so I can see what I'm doing - any recommendations for removing silicone ?

The alternative now that it appears dry for the time being is to say sod it and add more silicone or will I be looking at another leak weeks / months down the line ?

In your experience do these cone valves need a fair bit of manipulation to get a proper seal and will they work with old sealant fouling the inside or am I totally over thinking this ?

Sponsored Links
Some of these flush cones are flimsy ,very thin fins. Pack in-between the fins plumbers mate.
The flush pipe itself needs to be correctly in alignment with the pan inlet.
Use a mirror to inspect the pan inlet ,and scrape out the silicone.

Cheers, thanks for the tip about plumbers mate. The flush pipe is pretty well aligned, sorry about the story just needed to share as feel gutted at pulling apart a newish bathroom.

Some of these flush cones are flimsy ,very thin fins. Pack in-between the fins plumbers mate.
The flush pipe itself needs to be correctly in alignment with the pan inlet.
Use a mirror to inspect the pan inlet ,and scrape out the silicone.

Still having a mare. New flush pipe cut to the correct length going in at the correct angle (put a spirit level on it). New flush cone . Packed between the fins with plumbers mait, pushed in fully. No movement of the loo or cistern yet when Inspecting with a mirror and torch I'm getting the slightest of weeps around the edge of the flush cone after a few days of heavy use (not even a drip- just a trace on my finger). So water is still working its way back over the fins (rather than along the edge of the flush pipe) .The pan is a Roca so decent quality I presume, I'm just wondering if there are imperfections in the flush pipe hole.

Any suggestions other than try a different flush cone / repeat ?

This is the current flush cone and I noticed in the Q & A's its PVC although it feels like rubber. It's certainly pliable.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-internal-flushcone/600fy

Sponsored Links
No idea what that flush cone is like ,never used one ,but if it is pvc rather than rubber it is suspect.
Having said that ,if you apply plumbers mait ,liberally ,in between each and every fin ,in such a way that it increases the outside diameter it should seal.
If you roll the p/ mait into a sausage shape ,and fit into each " gulley" between fins ,allowing it to be proud all around the circumference ( hope that makes sense).
And the inlets of the pan are often poorly formed by the way.

Cheers, I'll give it another go. Might have a mooch around some plumbers merchants for a different flush cone as well. I now have three and they all seem different quality.

No idea what that flush cone is like ,never used one ,but if it is pvc rather than rubber it is suspect.
Having said that ,if you apply plumbers mait ,liberally ,in between each and every fin ,in such a way that it increases the outside diameter it should seal.
If you roll the p/ mait into a sausage shape ,and fit into each " gulley" between fins ,allowing it to be proud all around the circumference ( hope that makes sense).

Thanks for the tip, I have the tiniest of leaks on both of our two here, I will try that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back