Flush Pipe Leak - Replacement Cone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Fitting a new en-suite, and I bought a toilet and concealed cistern from Victorian Plumbing.

As soon as the two were assembled, there was a small leak on the flush pipe cone. The cone supplied was quite a flimsy thin rubber one. I've purchased two replacements from Toolstation. One is the same cone design as the original, but made from a harder plastic, and is a much tighter fit. It is hugely better but still not completely watertight. The other is a solid rubber design however is a fraction too large; even with plenty of lubricant I can't get it into the toilet with the pipe in. The flush pipe is perfectly inline with the entry hole on the toilet, and the pipe has been cut to the correct length with about 1.5" going in to the toilet.

The only way I can get a good seal is to use the harder plastic cone from toolstation, with plenty of plumbers mait on it.

However I don't consider this a long term fix, any slight movement is going to cause a leak in the future.

Can anyone recommend a good quality, failsafe cone or other seal to tackle this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I fitted one two weeks ago from Vic plumb ,customer bought all their bathroom suite from them. Same flimsy ,thin and useless flush cone. Didn't even bother fitting it . The white EVA ,more rigid ,flush cones aren't much better and I don't use them.
The thicker black rubber one is the best.
I get mine from local independent plumbers merchant ,they come loose ,no packaging ,so I actually don't know who makes them , sorry.

Local ,independent plumbers merchant,and not branded ,sorry !
Have bought the same type from B&Q in the past.
Why can't you use the one that's hard to fit ,bound to seal if it's that tight.
Fit flush pipe into cone ( not connected to cistern ) and it will go in ,lubricate with water only. Once in and the fins have taken the shape of inner pan inlet , you should be able to remove ,fit to cistern and re insert to pan.
Another tip with rubber ,if it's cold it is not as flexible. Put the cone into a cup of boiling water for two minutes ,you will be surprised at how much more flexible it is !!

Sponsored Links
OK thanks Terry, will have a hunt around. The solid rubber on is just too tight, believe me I spent 20 mins trying to get it to fit. It will go over the flush pipe no problem but then the two together won't push into the pan hole. I can get it a few mm in and then it's so tight it just pops out. I will have another go with the boiling water and see how it goes...

@terryplumb - your advice was spot on. Have managed to fit the thick solid one after soaking in boiling water as you suggested. It was blooming tight (I guess that can only be a good thing) but it did go in. No leaks as yet after 10 or so flushes, will keep an eye on it but feeling a lot more confident about this one....

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated :)

Good on ya !! Better tight than those flimsy loose things that Vic plumb supply !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back