Flush handle doesn't fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flushing handle on the toilet in my mother’s en-suite is flopping around, and half the time doesn't flush. The problem seems to be that the plastic threads on the shank which goes through the cistern have worn away, so the nut which tightens it up doesn't really grip any more.

Simple, I thought – get a new one. However… it didn’t fit. The threaded shank was slightly too big for the hole in the cistern. As it was cheap, I filed the threads down carefully, a little at a time, till I could get it in – it lasted for a little time, then worked loose again, presumably because I’d filed half the threads away.

So. Is this a metric vs imperial issue? The toilet may date back to the 80s, when the houses were built – but even then, we had gone French I think? Is there any other explanation? Trouble is, the toilet is jammed into a tiny en-suite, wedged between the basin and rad, and would be a b*stard to replace…

Thanks and merry Christmas :D

handle.jpg

Sponsored Links
This is the joys of plumbing. Everything is grand until you need a spare part. Often, components on a China made toilet or tap takes an obscure size not found on the current market. All too often, it's easier just to replace the whole lot.

I can only suggest you get some vernier calipers, measure the diameter of the hole and go to the plumbers merchants to find a thread size just under that. And everything is plastic and crap these days, you have to pay for the best of the worst.

Aaaahhh... in the deep dark past, I remember tearing my hair out trying to fit new seals between the cistern and bowl of 3 close-coupled toilets. When on the point of suicide, as I couldn't get them to seal, some kind soul (maybe you!) on here uttered the awful words "Ideal Standard...", and the problem was solved.

Seems they do everything differently from everybody else :mad::mad::mad:

Thanks for the tip :D

Sponsored Links
Hhmmm I must be missing something (generally the case when I get involved in plumbing :mad:)

I quickly measured the spindle when picking Mum up for Christmas dinner, and it seems more like ¾" than ⅜" :confused:

The ancient little cistern is indeed Ideal Standard though :unsure:

{edit} Have you ever done something monumentally stupid? Most of the times I have will end up on these forums :oops:

I actually went down and measured the very spindle that is too wide (cringe).

Also see that ⅜ actually means 16.66mm diameter... just ignore me.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back