Leak after fitting new toilet inlet valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Using this https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-button-cable-dual-flush-bottom-inlet/58353 I've replaced the flush and inlet valve on one of our toilets and there is now a small leak from the inlet, where it connects to the cistern. It's an improvement from the constant refilling - but obviously a leak is still not good!

The inlet hole is a fair amount larger than the inlet pipe, but the rubber washer does cover the hole.

The original valve was pretty much identical to the new one, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original from 30-40 years ago. It was packed out with a bunch of clear sealant. Watching a couple of YouTube videos, it seems this stuff is not necessary, and perhaps even bad practice, but I'm wondering after reading another thread if it may have been to compensate for the straight pipe pulling on the inlet valve?

The water supply pipe is straight up from the floor with a slight bend. It doesn't naturally line up with the inlet, but it's not pinging away under a lot of tension, more just the weight of it causing it to sag away.

So I'm wondering what is wrong here. I've seen some inlet valves come with a tapered seal, like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-bottom-entry-brass-shank-fill-valve/5527f, and with the way the valve sits in the hole I'm wondering if this is what I need? Though the negative reviews and price make me question its reliability. Or should I replace a section of the supply pipe with a flexible one so that isn't pulling on the valve?

Sponsored Links
If you didn’t remove the sealant prior to fitting, then this could have created a discrepancy for the rubber on the new inlet to create a decent seal. Remove the new one and remove the silicone and try again. If you did remove the sealant try tightening it up.

If you didn’t remove the sealant prior to fitting, then this could have created a discrepancy for the rubber on the new inlet to create a decent seal. Remove the new one and remove the silicone and try again. If you did remove the sealant try tightening it up.
Thanks, sorry, should have mentioned I removed it and have made sure the surface is nice and flat. I'm afraid to tighten it any more without risking over tightening - it's hand tight plus about 1/4 with a wrench.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back