Low Rise Toilet, Leaky Inlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems my toilet has been leaking for some time from the flush inlet on the back of the pan.

Having replaced the rotten floor under the pan I'm now ready to reconnect the pan itself. I tracked the problem to the wrong washer being used on the inlet pipe (the builders had filled the gaps around it with silicone to try and bodge it.

The problem is that the inlet on the back of the toilet doesn't appear to be standard. Rather than have the inlet pipe concentric with the flange in the back of the pan, the inlet hole is set slightly lower, leading to their being more space at the top of the inlet than at the bottom, which means a standard rubber fitting won't push in with a pipe inside.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this, or know where I can find a suitable fitting? I've looked all over the pan for a makers mark but can't find one anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like either the installer got it wrong when he fixed the cistern and cut the flush pipe to length, or the pan has been removed and re-fitted for a change of flooring without adjusting the flush pipe for the new floor level.

The end of the pipe should be concentric with the pan socket. The cistern end of the flush pipe usually telescopes inside the bottom of the syphon for final adjustment.

If the pipe is left too long it 'bottoms out' inside the syphon before the end lines up with the pan socket.

If it is cut too short, it means either a trip to the plumbers' merchant for another flush pipe, or moving the cistern down so it fits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back