Flush tiled hearth for victorian gas effect fire place?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're looking to install a reclaimed original victorian fireplace with a gas effect burner(fake coals etc.). This will all be done by registered fitters but i wanted to keep a tiled hearth that is flush height with the floorboards to keep that victorian look.

Is this ok under current regs? I cant seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
British Standard 5871.

Hearth must be at least 12mm thick and have an upstanding edge of 50mm height above finishings.

Or be 50mm thick.

British Standard 5871.

Hearth must be at least 12mm thick and have an upstanding edge of 50mm height above finishings.

Or be 50mm thick.

Correct, Dan.
But the 50mm can be acheived with a fender. The "front hearth" neeeds to be 12mm min non-combustible, but this can be underfloor and is likely to be already so - if there was solid fuel fireplace.

Sponsored Links
So just to confirm;
The constructional hearth that’s there already is as least 12mm thick so I can lay tiles on to it that will finish flush with the floorboards(or slightly proud). I can then use a fender to achieve the 50mm height to front and sides?
Is that correct?
Thanks

So just to confirm;
The constructional hearth that’s there already is as least 12mm thick so I can lay tiles on to it that will finish flush with the floorboards(or slightly proud). I can then use a fender to achieve the 50mm height to front and sides?
Is that correct?
Thanks

Yes. Exactly. But remember to maintain the depth (backpanel to perimeter) distance.

Hope that all helps.

Hey, not bad though . .Been 18 months since my reassessment and I avoid gas fires like the plague :D

TBF, I would be surprised if that bit was covered in full. :)

The height of the hearth (50mm) is only to "discourage the placing of floorcoverings near the fire", or some words like that. I always thought it strange that Solid Fuel fires have no such requirement

upload_2018-5-1_22-49-12.png

upload_2018-5-1_22-49-54.png

They do - the hearth must extend 225mm in front of the stove

And of top of that, the stove manufacturers often then recommend a minimum distance from the edge of the door when opened which explains why homes with stoves often have huge hearths stretching out 4 ft or so into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back