Flushing an open system whilst pump is running and F/E tank filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently cleaned and refilled my central heating using a new method suggested to me by a gas engineer friend partly inspired by something someone suggested on here some time ago. Basically always get air in the microbore system so tried this. Seems to have worked well as all is fine now. Wondered what pros opinions are on this.

System details:

Open vented y plan system with combined feed/ vent with air seperator.
Potterton Suprima 30 non condensing boiler – 17 years old
3 bed house with 7 small rads – 10mm microbore – downstairs rads are drop fed and each has a doc.

What we did:

Add cleaner to isolated bathroom rad after syphoning off 1 litre of h20 – circulated as per instructions with all valves fully open for full duration advised.

Drain/flush method:

Clean F/E tank thoroughly – remove all crud to prevent it entering the system, isolate boiler, wire Grundfoss pump to mains (protected by 3 amp fuse) and run on 2, manually open 3 port valve.

Open one of the drain off cocks and allow water to run at same rate as water is replacing in f/e tank until clear. Reinstate all,turn on system to heat up and repeat above several times

As I say above was easy and no air locks but wondered whether we should have drained from each DOC downstairs instead of just 1- my mate said the pump was circulating the water so just 1 was fine. Also wondered if pump should have been on 3 whilst we did this it is normally on 2 but was on 3 whilst the circulated.

Interested to know peoples opinions on this.

Sponsored Links
I'm no plumber but would surmise there is no guarantee each and every radiator is flushed unless you isolate all radiators except the one identified for 'flushing'; that drives all pumped water through that one. Then repeat for each radiator in turn.

Water will allways take the point of least resistance, so it's more than likley that it's gone from the F&E tank straight to the drain point. Hot water gets pumped round the system by both pushing and pulling the water. As it pushes from the pump, it crates a negtive pressure behind it, and that allows the water to push forward towards the pumpt itself. As you've had an open valve, the water either side of the least resistance path, will remain fairly static.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back