Flushing central heating - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise as to how best to flush my central heating system please ?

Earlier this year, i posted a picture showing the debris captured by my Fernox TF1 due to the inhibitor level being too low.

My house has concrete floors and not all radiators downstairs have drain valves so if i empty as much of the system as possible, will opening the top-up valve on the boiler to top up with clean water around the system be the best approach, or should i inject and run some cleaning fluid through first for a period of time ?

My radiators are not suffering any heat loss but i was just mindful of the debris collected and wanted to to give it a clean and get any debris out before adding the appropriate level of inhibitor.

Alternatively, i know i could rent a powerflush and run for a period of time, but from reading, i don't feel that this is necessary and can cause issues

Can anyone advise please ?

Sponsored Links
Using the filling loop won't flush the system much, as the water will just take the easiest route from loop to drainoff, it's unlikely to go through the radiators. If you don't want to powerflush, introduce some cleaner such as X400, leave it in for 3 weeks or so then drain, refill, drain and refill again, adding X900 and X100

https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk...tral-heating-systems/sentinel-x900-filter-aid

Last edited:
thanks muggles

any thoughts/recommendations as to whether sentinel products are any better than fernox ?

They're pretty much the same really, probably different formulations but all made to the same standard

Sponsored Links
Dont be tempted to use Sentinell X800 unless you can guarentee that you have removed it completely, stick to the X400

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back