Flushing Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Won’t go into the general problems I’ve had with plumbers, homeserve etc, suffice to say my boiler was flushed 18 months ago and now I have been told it needs it again as debris has broken my heat exchange. My boiler is a 4 year old Gloworm 38CXi

Anyway so far I have introduced some Sentinel X400 which will be left in for about a week. The boiler is working just hot water goes hot then cold then hot etc etc makes showers a game of chicken.

When it comes to flushing I have a couple of questions about the procedure, I have read some of the guides on this frankly great site but wanted to check with the experts before I leave the family with no hot water at all!!

1. My general plan was to isolate all the radiators flush the system till clear then open up one rad, repeat the process close rad then open another and reapeat. Does this sound right?
2. I read that you shoud drain all the rads otherwise the water wont flush right through, only my rads downstairs seem to have a drain point, what should I do?
3. I think the plumber who installed the system has helped out no end. In the picture below on the pipes coming out of the boiler on both ends are fitted inlet valves, in the manual these are the Central Heating Isolation Valve (Flow) and Central Heating Isolation Valve (Return). I’m presuming I can attach some hose and use one for draining and one for mains pressure flushing, then use this to fill the system.
059.jpg

4. I also have to shut off the connection on the Central Heating Isolation Valve Flow valve, is this correct? I read that this is so that I can watch the pressure, is it possible then to over pressurise the boiler even though you are draining at the same time?
5. When I’ve refilled the system I’m intending on adding X100 and X200 I leave in a very hard water area hence the extra protection
6. When it comes to refilling the system what’s the process should I open the bleed valve at the highest rad in the house and then fill, not too sure and use one of the inlet valves that I was using for flushing to fill it or the top up blue valve you can just see it in the picture, that’s how I would normally just add a bit of water?
7. On a side note the combi mate dualfit unit the takes those little balls, is this only used when adding more water through the tap attached to the boiler, do I only need to keep this topped up with balls and how can I make sure it’s working properly.
8. Any other hints and tips.

I realise that’s a whole bunch of questions, but really appreciate the help and not having to fork out another £400 on a flush.

Sponsored Links
Why dont you get in contact with the people whp flushed it 18 months ago?

I would say that it werent done right then to need doing again now?

Sponsored Links
i expect you have a problem with blockages in the plate heat exchanger.
Check the dosing plate is fitted in the combi-mate & also see if any of the dosing balls have gone all mushy and started to fall apart. The balls should be replaced every year otherwise they do more harm than good. The plate-ex will need removing and cleaning with something like DS3

Can't get in touch with old plumber, doesnt return calls. Is he really likely to come back and do it again..don't think so. I'm going to flush it because thats what the bloke from homeserve said needed to be done before he would replace the heat exchanger, as debris has caused it stop working properly.

What I really was hoping for was confirmation that my assumptions on flushing and refilling were correct.

Cheers

the old plumber is a rip off merchant

Sorry but I for one am not going to try to give you trainbign via a forum on how to powerflush correctly

try getting a decent company out who will give you a guarantee on their work and get your system working properly. didnt the homeserve man offer you this service?

and ffs report your "old" plumber to trading standards as he has fallen short of a decent service

I hope you didnt pay cash?

Nope homeserve found the problem and told my wife that she would have to get someone else in to do it, no help no recommendations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back