Flushing multi zone systems

nec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the most helpful guide to flushing CH systems.
I have completed a flush this morning after using Sentinel X400 flushing for a couple of weeks following advice from my engineer that the noises were as a result sludge or the boiler furring up :cry: .
The boiler is a Vaillant ECOmax VU 226 E and the HW is stored in a Megaflow. There are four zones in the house, CH, HW, Annexe & UFH Conservatory. We have completed various work on the sytsem over the last 8 years (UFH, Extensions etc) and each time it has been flushed before use.
Very little sludge has appeared during todays flushing process - lots of bubbles which I assume is the Sentinel X400. My next stage is to run X200 before flushing again and finishing with X100.
My question is :?: where has the sludge gone or have I not completed the flush correctly? I used the boiler filler at 3 bars, opened one zone at a time and opened rads individually.
Would appreciate any thoughts to ensure I get it right.
Thanx in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
where has the sludge gone
Perhaps there wasn't any sludge to speak of. You said that the system had been flushed before and if you've also kept it charged with inhibitor it might not have sustained any corrosion.

Perhaps you were badly advised that it needed flushing in the first place?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies - on reading the Sentinel instructions they indicate that the noise may also be as a result of "system design or mechanical faults"?
A case of waiting to see what happens after the X200 Noise Reducer has had time to work.
Thanks again.

Just a final update (should anyone be interested) I have now completed the processes of desludging and noise reduction using Sentinal products with a two flushings in between (not powerflushes) and finally added the Sentinal inhibitor.

Result - noises all gone, one rad taken off and examined for build up of crud - nothing much in there and to cap it all the pressure relief valve has stopped leaking meaning I have not had to top up the system for over a week now :D

Am I a lucky chap or what :eek:

If you wanna keep the boiler in tip top condition treat yourself to a Magnaclean. They go onto the return pipe and stop all the nasty magnatite particles from getting into your boiler. Seeing as you've gone to all the trouble you have, then £90 on a bit of kit to help keep it clean is not much.

Thanks Chris. I have just read up on the Magnaclean under Filters - Strainers and seen what they do. I have a gauze filter included within the UFH set-up and look at that fairly often but little if anything is caught.
:?: As an interim and whilst waiting for Birthday to come around, if I stick a powerful magnet on the return near to a drain point would that do the same job would you think?

If you've had a dodgy prv leaking perhaps it just air making the noise. Why didn't you deal with the water loss first?

Good point raised by Bentwood. Engineer said that the leak could have been a pipe out od sight, or, within the system and being lost through the condensate trap, or the PRV. Having changed the PRV on his last visit I thought I would investigate the others first which meant checking the pipes that were in walls by viewing from under the floor boards downstairs and cutting through the condensate pipe to see what came out other than condensation. Thankfully both proved OK and following the Sentinal treatment the PRV appears to have 'cured' itself as well (at least for now).
Thanks everyone for the input - hopefully I can move on to my next problem of creating a wet room floor - anyone used this product
On-The-Level Shower Tray Formers via http://www.aquatecnic.co.uk/3040/frames.php

I would have suggested that you did not need the X200.

Did you have any evidence that it made any difference?

Rather than X400, I would suggest that Feroquest is better as it can be used with the power flushing over only a few hours.

Tony

You could just make a chamber and fill it with powerful nib magnets and yes you have made a magnaclean, just won't be as user friendly when it's time to clean it. Worth it's money I would say.

Unfortunately most of my installations customer won't pay for it, but when it's for myself or for someone with common sense I put them in.

Agile said:
I would have suggested that you did not need the X200.

Did you have any evidence that it made any difference?

Tony

Thanks for the observations Tony,

I followed my engineers suggestion to the letter after he had diagnosed the worst for the boiler - and after I had a mild panic over the thought of the cost of a new boiler after only 8 years of this one and nearly 25 out of the original.

There was still a hint of noise from the Boiler after the X400 had been in for a couple of weeks so I did as the 'doctor' suggested and added the X200.

No noises now so I await engineers thoughts later this month at the annual service :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back